Social Services

***Medicaid Continuous Coverage Ending***

The COVID-19 public health emergency continuous coverage requirement is ending. Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program) and Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) will return to normal renewal processes with the first notices going out in March for members with renewals due in May 2023. Not all members will be renewed at the same time. Each member’s renewal month will align with their already established annual renewal month. Colorado will take 12 months (14 months including noticing) to renew members based on their existing annual renewal date. Some members will be automatically renewed based on the most recent information already on file with the state. Other members will need to go through the renewal process and take action. The Department will send renewal packets to those members in advance of their renewal dates with key information and their individual timelines to take action.

If you are a Health First Colorado or CHP+ member, please make sure your contact information is up to date in PEAK in case we need to send you a renewal packet. If you do not have a PEAK account, you can create one at You can also contact your Ouray County Social Services to make sure your address and other contact information is up to date. You will receive a renewal packet in PEAK when your renewal date is approaching and through the Health First Colorado app if you are opted in. You can also see your renewal date in PEAK at any time. If you receive a renewal packet, make sure you fill it out, sign it, and return it by the due date. If you have questions about the renewal process, you can visit

Available Services

The Social Services Department provides:
  • Child protection services
  • Child support enforcement services
  • General assistance to county residents
  • Referrals to employment services
  • Self-sufficiency and medical assistance programs

Are you having trouble accessing services from Medicaid Prime providers in Montrose? Click here for more information... 

 Information on Regional Transportation in Ouray County

Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

Colorado's LEAP is a federally funded program that helps families, individuals, seniors and those with disabilities pay a portion of their winter home heating costs. LEAP is not intended to cover all costs of home heating for qualifying participants, but rather to help alleviate some of the energy burden associated with colder winter months. Click here for more information. 

Adult Services

Tri-County adult services are done through Single Entry Point Agency. For more information call Julie Miller at 970-252-5000.

Report Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect

Everyone in the community plays a role in the prevention of child abuse and neglect. If it is an emergency or you are witnessing a child in a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1 immediately. 

Colorado has a toll-free phone number to report child abuse and neglect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. Please call the Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-844-CO-4-KIDS, (1-844-264-5437) to report concerns about a child's safety and well-being. All calls are confidential and will be routed to the county where a child resides. 

You may also call the Ouray County Department of Social Services at (970) 626-2299.

To create an accurate record of the conversation, all reports of child abuse and neglect may be monitored and recorded.

We're pleased to provide access to online training and other resources for Colorado citizens who care about children, youth and families. For information on mandatory reporting, click here.  

Child Support

Child support services are contracted to Montrose County Child Support Enforcement Unit. For more information please call Administrator Cherrie Schlauger at 970-252-4200, or visit:

1200 N. Grand Ave.

Suite C

Montrose, CO 81401